Monday, December 13, 2010

Just a "Little" Baking...

Yesterday, I spent about 9 hours in the kitchen. Because of the oven being on for so long, the temperature in the house got up to about 77 degrees in the living room - and it was by far hotter in the kitchen. By about 7:30pm, when the platter trays had been assembled and final dish put in the dishwasher, I was so relieved to have it all done.

By the numbers:

- 9 different kinds of treats
3 batches of molasses cookies
2 batches of sugar cookies
3 batches of chocolate chips cookies
3 batches of oatmeal raisin cookies
2 batches of cocoa candy cane cookies
2 pans of mounds bars
2 pans of saltine toffee
1 jelly roll pan of heath bars
2 pans of fudge
- 10 recipients of these various treats
- 4 holiday movies viewed while baking
- And, I don't think I want to consider how many pounds of sugar, flour, or chocolate chips that added up to....(but, note to self, it does take more chocolate chips that I anticipated, as I had to leave to go to the store for more at one point)

Fortunately, after everything was distributed, I still had a fair amount to put in the freezer for a Christmas Day assortment, and favorites for Sunriver. I think the bulk of the baking is officially done. It was a fun day (thanks in large part to John who took the kids for the day shopping - and thus out of the house), but I'm ready for a baking break for a while!








7 comments:

sara said...

oh.my.word. that is a LOT of cookies!!!! you have left me speechless.....and in awe!

StephieAnne said...

That's how I felt about your beautiful cakes for your tea!

StephieAnne said...

Oh, and I also have the advantage of having a convection oven, so I can bake three pans of cookies simultaneously....saves SO MUCH TIME!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You are amazing! I think it's a great idea to do it all at once. Might as well have the mess all at once, and then be done and the temptations put away. I'm sure there were some happy people today!!! If you stop doing this now, they will go through withdrawals at Christmas.

Unknown said...

Oh my! That puts my holiday baking weekend to shame!! Its all I did all weekend and still can't match those numbers!

Lisa@ButteryBooks said...

9 hours! My back would be killing me. They all look delicious!