Sunday, September 06, 2009

Some of My Favorite Christian Fiction

In light of this weekend, in which 90% of my waking hours have been spent on a couch, beanbag or rocking chair, in front of a tv, and with a book or magazine in my hands - I thought I'd spend some time listing some of my favorite reads.

While my reading tastes range the board, I will say it is GENERALLY within the Christian fiction parameters. I'm not a big biography or other non-fiction reader - unless it is for spiritual study or research. Instead, I prefer "escape". And, while I enjoy certain books/authors who don't fit under the "Christian" umbrella - for the most part, I prefer books pre-filtered from things I'd rather not fill my mind - as well as stories of those who describe their own encounters with God. In fact, I'm all about the "story". I've always been that way. Pastors and speakers who use stories - they draw me in, and even more significant - the story stays with me (often its own form of "application") instead of being lost behind when I leave the sanctuary. I am an advocate of stories as I believe using them allows our minds to make connections in wouldn't have otherwise. Not to mention the greatest Teacher even used them repeatedly - obviously knowing that is how the "masses" or even his own disciples would learn best.

So, whether it's for purely fun escape or longing for a brand new view of spiritual truths - here are some of my favorites.

BEST ALLEGORICAL BOOKS
THE CIRCLE SERIES - Ted Dekker
ARENA - Karen Hancock
THE SHACK - William P. Young

BEST DEMONSTRATION OF TRUE LOVE
REDEEMED - Francine Rivers
MARTYR'S SONG SERIES - Ted Dekker

BEST HISTORICAL ROMANCE
MARK OF THE LION SERIES - Francine Rivers
KENSINGTON CHRONICLES - Lori Wick
THE BUCCANEERS SERIES - Linda Chaikin

BEST FANTASY/SCI-FI
FIREBIRD SERIES - Kathy Tyers
THE LAST GUARDIAN - Shane Johnson
RELENTLESS SERIES - Robin Parrish
LEGEND OF THE EMERALD ROSE - Linda Wichman
GIVER OF ROSES - Kathleen Morgan
LOGIC'S END (very strange, but an intriguing fantasy written as a rebuttal to evolution) - Robinson Keith

BEST ROMANTIC SUSPENSE
DANGER IN THE SHADOWS - Dee Henderson
LIGHTS OF THE VEIL - Patty Metzger

BEST POLITICAL/INTERNATIONAL INTRIGUE
CROSSFIRE (and sequels) - Jeanette Windell
MISSION: RUSSIA SERIES - Susan May Warren

BEST DRAMA (ROMANCE NOT INTEGRAL)
ON THE EDGE - F. Parker Hudson
DEADLINE - Randy Alcorn

BEST ROMANTIC DRAMA
RUSH OF WINGS - Kristen Heitzmann
SOPHIE'S HEART - Lori Wick

BEST CHICK-LIT
JOSEY SERIES - Susan May Warren
SAVANNAH SERIES - Denise Hildreth
SAVE THE DATE - Jenny B. Jones

BEST TEEN CHICK-LIT
THE CHARMED LIFE SERIES (I'M SO SURE) - Jenny B. Jones

BEST LAUGH OUT LOUD BECAUSE I CAN RELATE
SAHM I AM SERIES - Meredith Efken
ASHLEY STOCKINGDALE SERIES - Kristen Billerbeck

RECENT "FUN" ENJOYABLE READS
MISS-MATCH SERIES - Erynn Mangum
LET THEM EAT CAKE SERIES - Sandra Byrd

SOME OF MICHELE'S* NEW FAVORITE AUTHORS
Tamera Alexander
Deann Gist
Stephanie Newton
Sara Mitchell
Marylu Tyndall
Irene Hannon

* - My twin sister who reads at least twice as much as I do

I think I will try to keep adding to this as ideas come up. It's been fun sitting here with Michele and Amazon.com trying to remember titles and authors. Feel free to add some of your own favorites in the comments - I'd love to hear what stirs your heart!

5 comments:

Lydia said...

Stephanie - thanks so much for this great list. I've been taking the girls to the library all summer and checking out some books for myself as well. The family doesn't like it because all I do is read, but it has been so much fun to read again this summer. It usually only takes about a week to read the two books I allow myself, and then I have to wait another two weeks to head back to the library. Now I'm going to write some of yours down and take it with me next time.

StephieAnne said...

Yeah Lydia! Thanks for leaving a comment...it makes me feel so connected to you! Michele and I think you might have first turned us on to the Lori Wick or Linda Chaikin Historical Romance books.

Hope you've had a great weekend, my friend!

AnnieBlogs said...

Hi, my name is Annie Downs and I work for best-selling Christian author Sandra Byrd. Sandra's newest book Piece de Resistance just released last week.

Would you be interested in receiving a copy of the book to read and post a review on your blog? Just contact me at annie [at] sandrabyrd [dot] com and we will get a copy to you right away.

Just let me know by this Friday if you are interested. :)

Thanks for your time and investment in Christian literature.

(Sorry to leave such a long comment- I was unable to locate a contact email address for you.)

Tiffany said...

Lynn Austin's....God and Kings. Its a series of 5 books about King Hezekiah! AWESOME!!! If you enjoyed Mark of the Lion by F.R. you will love these!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Chick Lit