Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Testimony

Today our Bible Study (which involves watching a video of Beth Moore) was titled "The Law of the Harvest". It was essentially centered on "reaping what you sow". There was a lot of meat in the study, but what I really focused on was the power of testimony.

I can honestly say that every thing I have ever wondered "why God?" as I struggled through has been used for His glory as I've had the opportunity to share that struggle with others.

I remember when I first began my journey within Womens' Ministy at First Baptist, I was put in a kind of a "training for leadership" group. I'll be honest and say that my involvement within that group was a serious struggle for me because of a huge difference in life perspective between me and the leader. Once again, that's fodder for another post, but suffice to say, I "graduated" and am a better person for it (and, just like I said above, it's been used for good as I've shared that experience....).

ANYWAY.... I was asked to type out my "testimony" so that I would have it prepared and ready to give whenever needed. The whole idea bugged me a bit because I don't have just one testimony - I have dozens - hundreds even - of how God has delivered me! I realize she was referencing my testimony of salvation - the one which I obediently prepared, but I'm not sure that's the one I've utilized the most. I want to know what my audience is or will be and that will determine the particular testimony. Will it be a testimony of anxiety - that I went through as a young mother and new wife? Or will it be a testimony of fear - when I believed my son was dying, or my husband wouldn't survive the night? Will it be a testimony of insecurity, that dominated my life before John and I were married, never believing I was good enough or worthy enough to live the fairy tale - of deserving Prince Charming? Or will it be a testimony of releasing control - the tale that is currently under construction?

All I know is that I consider each of these stories to be my "seeds". They won't do an ounce of good if I store them away - but if I plant them - sow them, I pray they will reveal a great harvest someday..... I certainly know that the seeds you all have planted in your stories and testimonies have reaped a harvest to me.....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie - I would have a hard time with this assignment too. I agree that the message has to be tailored to who you are talking with. (BTW - Your everyday testimony is great! I am always inspired by you.)

Growin' With It said...

i love your whole perspective on this! and how far are you guys in that study? i've been soooo out of it and need one!

Anonymous said...

Steph, your post today? It made me cry.
lcr

StephieAnne said...

Linda, this is totally a "come anytime" study, as we just watch a "stand alone" DVD each Tuesday. There can be anywhere from 10-20 people gathered and almost always there is a new face, as well as faces that aren't there. Would love to have you come, I appreciate that there's no homework, just an hour's worth of "solid teaching" from Beth. Meet in the conference room down by the entry office at 9:30 on Tuesdays....

And, lcr - I love you!

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister - I have so many amazing and miraculous things I could share with others, and often do - and I find myself "witnessing" just in the sharing about my life, and it all makes sense....

Tiffany said...

I have often struggled with my testimony for the very same reasons. How can there be just one!? I can tell you the one about my salvation, the one where I was called into ministry, the one where I confronted 'myself,' but there is difinitely not just ONE!

Unknown said...

I love this story. I was having a really bad day today. Just really a sad day.

After reading this I felt a little better.

Thank you.