Saturday, June 18, 2011

"Green Lantern" and "Mr. Popper's Penguins"

I gotta tell you, I've been looking forward to this day for several months. Brayden and I are "action/superhero" movie buddies, so when we saw the first real trailer to this movie along with its release date, we immediately did a fist-pump indicating that date would be ours....
The date also coincided with being at the end of the last week of school, so it was something to look forward to in that it represented the start of summer. Woo hoo! As crazy as it sounds, after yesterday's horrible start, the day turned out to be wonderful - full of frozen yogurt concoctions, road trips, Rascall Flatts' "Summer Nights" being blared through the sunroof, and getting a real tan at the pool. All in all, a VERY GOOD start - and due to all that activity as well as the fact that the weather was supposed to turn today (it did - very gray and rainy) - we opted to make our movie run occur as a Saturday matinee vs. on the opening night.

I'm aware that the movie did not get the best reviews - but I absolutely loved it. Ryan Reynolds is an actor I find VERY engaging....and his take on being "chosen out of the blue" to be something so unbelievable was a lot of fun. Seriously, the only problem I had with the movie was the fact that it ended sooner than I wanted to. (I also want to point out that as a Christian, I take this whole comic book storyline as purely fiction and therefore do not subscribe to the beliefs of said comic storyline....) I think I really just want to talk up this movie so that it makes a lot of money and they therefore get to work on a sequel ASAP. =)

Now, going back in time again to that first movie preview - when the family watched it, while Brayden and I gave fist pumps, John and Mikayla gave eye rolls. It was clear it would not be a family-of-four date.

So, John and Mikayla opted for this movie choice.

I guarantee that I enjoyed my movie more than John enjoyed his, but he did agree that it was sweet, and most of all, treasured the time with his little princess and the knowledge that she very much enjoyed the movie.

And, now - the dates aren't over - in a crazy twist, Travis and Stephanie currently have Brayden and Mikayla who are helping to babysit Stephie's nieces. So, the Whites are kind of babysitting our kids who are kind of babysitting their nieces. (Or, in all reality - Mikayla is absolutely loving the opportunity to help Steph hang with the little girls, while Brayden is basking in the time to hang and play video games with Travis....) So, what does that mean - hmmm, an unexpected date night for Mom and Dad. Currently, we are at a loss as to how to spend it - but hey, it's appreciated!

1 comment:

brian said...

Awsome The Green Lantern is my fave super friend!