Sunday, March 12, 2006

A Fine Homeschooling Moment


As many of you know, my sister has chosen to homeschool two of her kids for the last two years. It's been an adventure filled with highs and lows, successes and failures - and will probably be coming to an end this June. I admire Michele for the reasons why she chose this route in education and for her open-mindedness about the various positive forms of educating her kids. She truly felt the prompting of God for these two years - and in the same way, is feeling a very strong leading for her kids to enter the public system next year. In hindsight, I think she can definitely say that what she did for her kids was the best thing she could have done for them - but, like any parent, she, of course, has had her share of guilts that she hasn't done enough. So, to celebrate the successes - I thought I'd post a very positive moment in Traig's second grade year - creating electricity to power a flashlight bulb. It was an incredibly proud moment for Traig, that took place in my home (a benefit of homeschooling - that it can travel....). It was very cool!

No comments: