Monday, May 31, 2010

Angel Fall

With a Mothers' Day gift card to Borders and their 40% off coupon - I couldn't help but go exploring on Friday to find a good "escape book" to read while her at the Schillings. I ended up with ANGEL FALL by Coleman Luck. The back of the book reads:

"Alex, Amanda, and Tori Lancaster have entered Boresth, a world of ancient devastation and deep evil ruled by the Worwil - seven creatures of immense power who existed before any world began. Through the world they must travel, into terror and temptation, every choice taking them closer to endless night. Scarred with the fires of hell and heaven, their pasts are torn from their souls.

But shadowing each of them is a mysterious Being covered in scars who has faced ten-thousand battles. A being filled with the longing of ages. A longing to heal the broken-hearted.

With dark, glistening stranding from Lewis, Lovecraft, and Tolkien, the cloth of ANGEL FALL has been woven. But the journey it weaves is not just for Alex, Amanda, and Tori... it is for all those who cannot find their way home."

Sound intriguing? It was. But, it was also quite abstract in the beginning (even for me who embraces fantasy reads). But, as the story unfolded, it gripped harder and harder upon me, to the the point that with 100 pages left this morning, I was no longer distracted by anything propelling me to stop, but absolutely absorbed - with tears running down at the ultimate conclusion of redemption.

My favorite read ever? Nope, not even on the top ten list. However, this book was one that didn't shy away from gritty - particularly in the hearts of children whose hopes have been drowned by the evil one. After reading this book, I think my first impressions of the next insolent adolescent boy I meet, hell-bent on blaming everyone else for the problems of his life, will forever be viewed differently. As this book brought to light just what might be going on his heart. And, any time my heart is enlightened like that - I can't help, but recommend the read....

No comments: