Thursday, June 12, 2008

Yesterday.....

There was nothing remarkable about yesterday, but it did offer some "uniqueness" compared to the hum-drum of daily life. Here's a few examples:

- I successfully had my son on the edge of tears on three different occasions. Let me list them for you so you can see just how terrible of a parent I am.
- Upon picking him up at Gilham, I made him go back into the classroom to retrieve his homework. It's due today.
- When we tried to drop off a present at nearby Camp Harlow, and discovered the recipient wasn't there, I realized we'd have to drive over to the UofO campus to drop it off. Brayden was very upset by this and wondered why I "didn't do this on my own time vs. taking up 'his' time"
- Before letting him talk to Traig and Nati on the phone, I required he put away the mess he made prior to leaving for school that morning. That was the final devastating blow. Clearly, that boy is "on the edge", particularly apparent the first couple of hours after the school day. Two and a half days left.....

- I made 48 jars of raspberry jam. I am so proud of this achievement - and all of the jars sealed correctly too (that never happens for me). I feel like such a domestic queen after such endeavors.

- Mikayla made a rather astute and precious observation about my planning/organizational skills. It was a high compliment "from the mouth of babes" so it made my day.

- And, now, the admission I'll live to regret - I sang numerous songs "karaoke" style on Mikayla's Wii "Sing It" game of "High School Musical". This is one of those purchases we made for Christmas that literally two days ago I laid in bed regretting as it hasn't been touched since that Sunriver trip. Then, yesterday, Brayden pulled it out, started annoying us by just using the plug-in mic (poor Sydney was so confused and kept cocking her head, hearing Brayden's voice come out of the tv). However, when I grabbed the mic, we learned that if you perform well enough - you can unlock much more songs (that was one of my disappointments about the game, the lack of song choice). So, now, my singing has nothing to do with personal enjoyment, it has EVERYTHING to do with helping the kids unlock new "stage locations", songs, and outfits for the characters. I do not have that pleasing of a voice, but on rare occasion, can keep the pitch on some of Gabriella's songs - which is key to earning the A+ rating for unlocking.

Last night (after 3 nights in a row of Daddy's absence due to ministry meetings), I gladly let John take the kids to do the Father's Day visit to his dad. Brayden requested that while he was gone, I "unlock" some more and I laughed indicating I was not his Cinderella to do his work while he went out for the evening. But, sure enough, I found myself a little red-faced as the family returned and I was butchering "Fabulous" to the tv set by myself.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny. It almost makes me consider thinking about possibly buying a Wii someday!

StephieAnne said...

It can be a lot of fun. I'm very curious about the Wii Fit - that looks pretty cool, and would probably do wonders helping me with my balance and "core strength".

HollieHobbie said...

I have Wii Fit and like it!