Monday, June 02, 2008

Not What I Wanted, but What I Needed

I woke up in a bit of a funk. After indulging all weekend (yes, three movies in one weekend - that's a lot of popcorn and candy....but as for me, THUMBS WAY UP on "Indiana Jones" - very satisfying.....and thank God for the Safeway "Pics for Flicks" program that kept us from paying for any of the tickets) today represented a nosedive back into reality. I'm not pleased with the weather forecast, and though I'm VERY MUCH thankful for today's sunshine, knowing it is short-lived has me a little cranky.

It took four attempts to get an "also cranky" Brayden out of bed this morning - and yes, I have a bit of an attitude that Eugene has my boy continuing to roll out of bed before 7am for a week longer than everyone else.... You know, it's amazing how many things you can find to complain about when you are in the mood to.....

So, needless to say, when I went to load up everyone in the car this morning and my keys were NO WHERE to be seen, the Monday morning got a lot worse. GRRRRRR!!!! I ended up having to call my neighbor, because, NO, I do not have extra keys for my car here at the house (real smart, huh?), and she had to do the carpool this morning (actually, bless his heart, it was her husband).

Mikayla and I ended up bike-riding to the gym (less than a half mile away) and then decided we'd ride our bike along the river on the path to go to John's work to get his extra key. I was having second thoughts when John offered to bring me the key as he had to come home anyway, but Mikayla was sold on the idea- so off we went. And, now's the part where I bring in the title of this post - it was just what I needed to remedy my sour mood.

Mikayla spent much of the time on the "Trail-a-bike" behind me talking about Jesus, singing, asking questions - just those special sort of times that you treasure. In addition, TODAY, really has been beautiful and instead of complaining about the forecast, we spent time enjoying it. To top it off, we got to see three different duck families with babies learning how to waddle and swim - as well as a few goslings. Just precious.

When we returned home, hopefully having burned off maybe half a box of one of the evening's candy indulgences, Mikayla found the keys in my car - hanging from the ignition (but, hey, at least it was locked). Funny to find myself, when it's all said and done, thankful that those keys were lost......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you found a way to "turn that frown upside down." I myself was pretty grumpy about sunshine that waited for a back-to-work day, esp. when it turned to rain by the time I got off work!

Kids can sure make us and break us, huh? I have come out of some rotten moods when Isabel's broken into song with things like "The B-I-B-L-E" (especially with her made-up lyrics). She's even given me the courage to sing about Jesus out in public, whether the lady shopping next to us in Target likes it or not!

Anonymous said...

My daughter does this, too. I get such a kick out of her singing "Hallelu Hallelu Hallelu HALLELUJAH PWAISE YE DA YWOOORD!" (Also usually in Target and at the top of her lungs.) It's great.