Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Kindergarten Graduation

When Mikayla's teacher told me the date of their kindergarten graduation, I was relieved that we wouldn't be gone and we would be able to make it. However, it didn't really register as much more than a blip on my calendar until I picked Mikayla up and saw the VERY SPECIAL scrapbook that her teacher had put together and personalized with an abundance of pictures and personal information for each child. It was then that it dawned on me that tonite's event might end up being a little more sentimental than I anticipated.

When we arrived at the church, we noticed kleenex boxes at the end of each of the pew. There was a reason for that. Because, just as soon as the "Pomp and Circumstance" graduation theme song started playing, I knew I was in for it. In walked one of Mikayla's best friends, in a cap and gown - and then there was my daughter - looking absolutely beautiful - and it wasn't hard to add twelve more years and see the future. Wow....

It was such a sweet little ceremony. The teacher had something special to say for each of the kids. For Mikayla: "She likes Legos the most and at home plays most with her Webkinz. She wants to get married, be a teacher and then have two kids. After she has her kids, she wants to stay home and just be a mom - (and yes, the teacher said, "just like her mom"). She wants to live on the same street as her mommy and daddy so she can be next to them - and wants to spend her free time playing with her kids." Oh, so precious.... and so very much like what I would have said when I was her age.

Currently, she's laying on my lap, fighting back tears as she misses her friends from school already. Sadly, only one out of the nine will be attending the same school as her next year, and he's a boy (and not her "Nathan B."). They have a VBS coming up at the church in July, so hopefully she'll get a second chance with some of them then.

Interestingly, the decision to have Mikayla continue through Norkenzie's kindergarten was not part of our original plan. We were planning on signing her up at Gilham, just like Brayden, but then one of "those" conversations happened that made me think twice. I was in the office making the last payment (I thought) for her 4 year old's class and the director of the school did just enough describing of the kindergarten program - and there you go. John and I talked, and the new decision was made. I can't tell you how many times we have rejoiced over that decision. I love it when God just moves you. There have been absolutely no regrets, and after tonight's program, I find myself just wishing that the impossible would happen and Norkenzie would all of a sudden open up classes for 1st through 12th grade. Not that I have a problem with Gilham, but it's just such a special place....


This is the school director, Miss Kathy - perhaps she is whispering to Mikayla, "I'm the one that talked your parents into having you stay here...."




Since Brayden didn't get to have an official graduation from kindergarten, we thought we'd let him try the hat on for size....

Sometimes I think Mikayla looks more like their kid than ours....

This is Mikayla's teacher - Mrs. Graham

No comments: