Monday, January 31, 2011

Employment Woes

Being the Type A planner that I am....substitute teaching can be a bit of a challenge for me. There is a perverse sense of accomplishment and satisfaction I feel in blocking out the week ahead in my Daytimer and knowing what I can expect for any given day. But, now that I've made an attempt to pick up a day or two a week of substitute teaching, all bets are off.

I find myself having to search for the districts' days off to schedule any sort of appointments. And as for those meetings with the college gals I aim to have approximately once a week (not to mention the hang-out times with friends my own age) - I'm constantly letting everyone know, "let's just pencil it in" - so that I'm not feeling guilty when a job comes up and cancels out the plans.

So, with all this in mind, I am excited to recognize that this week and next are already kind of roughly planned out. Yippee! I have a third grade assignment tomorrow (brand new school, teacher, and class - but after my stint in the middle school next week, third grade sounds PERFECT!!!) - and next week I have a pre-scheduled job on Wednesday with that precious fifth grade class I had right before Christmas. That will be a day I'll actually be excited about, vs. semi-nervous and apprehensive. Given all of this, it means I can actually block out (mark as "Unavailable") the two days this week that already have tentative plans, and not feel too guilty about it. Thursday can still go either way - if a position opens, I'll snag it, but if not - I'll be happy at that point, I'm sure, to just get plenty of stuff done.

All's to say, as that I begin this "short week" (we're still at Michele's - we'll head home around 3pm) - I'm finding myself quite happy. The forecast shows chilliesh (how's that for a new word?) temps - low 50's - but LOTS of sunshine. I get to go bowling with my Tuesday night ladies tomorrow night, Wednesday is wide open until after the kids get home - and then a fun walk is scheduled with my "Katy" - and Friday has me slated to hang out with someone I haven't connected with yet in 2011....which is a total crying shame - but, about to be remedied.

Ahhh, a week ahead with plans penciled in....I'm finding a little too much euphoria in that - but nonetheless, a great way to start February.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I currently substitute teach at the elementary school my boys attend. I prefer preplanned days! The early calls in the morning at 7 a.m. asking me to come in, just doesn't cut it for me. I'm a planner. I only have three days this month scheduled so far, but that's okay. It allows me to still get my school work done and make a little extra money:) I will student teach in the fall, and then hopefully snag a full time position in the spring (praying really hard). Have fun with those kiddos!