Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Back in the Saddle

I'm feeling much more stabilized today. Yesterday, I was borderline delirious - I am VERY influenced by how much sleep I get, so when things are messed up, so am I. As it turned out, Brayden came back in the morning and slept for 4 and a half hours before I finally woke him up to go to school for the short time remaining. I felt like it was good for him to back in the groove regarding school vs. just skipping all of Monday.

Funny how there is a timelessness of home. No matter how long you're gone, it will seem like no time at all as soon as you are back. Jodi wrote a very sweet post on another meaning of home - check it out at www.literarygirl.wordpress.com

I also find it interesting how fast progress can be reversed. How fast the spotless house (that took hours to get it there) can be trashed by laundry, toys, and spilled sugar all over the floors. How fast I can gain 8 pounds when it took 3 months to lose them! How fast months of fingernail and toenail progress can be erased with the anxiety of wondering when we'll get home. Even my face is not nearly as clear as it was before I left (lack of Pro-active consistency and use of suncare products). The only thing that is better - some color I gained from the sun, will soon fade - and causes wrinkles and potential skin cancer! Of course, I'm okay with it all. I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again - food is an integral part of my vacation/celebration/life experience, so if it requires being really good for a long time so I can have a week of being really bad, I really can handle that. Same for the rest of it too. I just, once again, find it crazy how fast things can spiral downward when it takes so long to go uphill.

I think perhaps I'll put up a book review tomorrow of a different genre than my usual sci-fi. And, then, hold on to your seats..... Thursday should bring some real excitement as I set off to help chaperon (I'd swear that word has an "e" at the end, but spellcheck says "no") Brayden's class trip to the Portland zoo. Which includes (I can hardly wait!) riding the school bus with the kiddos there and back..... Hopefully, it will choose not to snow that day.......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was that a sincere "I can hardly wait" on the school bus ride to Ptld.? Because for me, it would be oh so sarcastic. My ears hurt just thinking of such a thing.

I had fun reading your posts from paradise! Sorry to hear you had health challenges.

StephieAnne said...

Yes, sarcastic. For sure. If I could get away with being completely antisocial, I'd bring a book and ignore everyone for the duration. However, I think I have too much pride in the presence of the teacher to be such a "stick-in-the-mud". So, I'll probably bring some sort of travel games and try to fake my way into lively, fun enthusiasm!

Stephietoo said...

Chaperone can actually be spelled both ways; with or without an 'e' at the end.

Chaperone is English and Chaperon is French.

Just thought you'd like to know that little bit of trivia!

:o)~

StephieAnne said...

Well, could you please alert our email and blogger services about that, as they keep red-flagging me every time I spell it with an "E"!