Sunday, March 29, 2015

The Rest of Spring Break's Adventures

See those lines on my face?  That's how spring break started for me.  I knew I'd just have Whitley on Tuesday, and Michele would be joining me for the rest of the week, so Monday was the day I'd spend doing things I can't do when taking care of a toddler (or do well...).

First up, a "Deep Tissue Massage" from Bello.  I've never had a bad massage there and have dealt with a lot of therapists.  So, I went with an unknown.  (A little caveat - my mom is capable of blessing me with the traditional massage, but when our time is as limited as it is, it's essential to use Mom's giftedness of "re-aligning" me, vs. her skillset of loosening my muscles).  

Let's just say, "I made a mistake".  The gal was nice, and performed a technique that perfectly fits under the description of "Deep Tissue" - but it was not a fit for me.  She actually managed, while I was on my stomach, to push a rib hard enough to now make it a chronic issue on my right side, to match the rib on the lift that moves out of position if I lay flat on my back for longer than 15 minutes at a time.  I've named that particular rib after the technician.... =(

I should have told her the thumb and elbow pressure along my bone structure was not comfortable and too much for me, but pride and trying to be nice kept me from speaking up.  I paid for it dearly with a headache that came on about 5 hours after this picture was taken and didn't let up until Wednesday morning.  Sigh....not how I wanted to kick off my spring break.  

We ended up working it out with Stephie to watch Whitley on Wednesday, and Michael brought Michele down on Tuesday (van issues kept her stranded in Dallas - I was meant to pick her up).  Wednesday started out with a trip to Mom's to have her get me closer to 100% - and Michele goofed off with Whitley out there while I was getting worked on.  

Back at home, we had a little demonstration of Whitley's skills as "Sheriff Callie" using my robe rope to lasso Sydney.  Pretty entertaining, but it took me about a month to find that rope again!

Later that afternoon, we all took a walk down to Creekside Park.  We pulled out all the stops with Whitley:  bubbles, sidewalk chalk, and sand toys.  Of course, attention from Aunt Stephie and Aunt Chele was her favorite.  =)

On Thursday, we rejoined with Mom to celebrate her birthday with a local hike.  It was a hike I'd been on before, but it was new to both of them, and they both discovered - as I originally did - just how marvelous it is to have access to this sort of "wilderness and beauty" right on the city limits.  

It wasn't entirely primitive forest though - as this gnome made an appearance.

We polished off the hiking experience with a reward from a local fro-yo shop.  Another first for mom as she hadn't actually yet visited a fro yo place where you heap on your own toppings.  I think she was pleased.

I made a commitment to Michele that we would not be wasting our exercise time on pavement or ellipticals this week, but instead we'd be getting out in the wild.  But, with other things on our agenda (like Disneyworld prep shopping), we opted to stick close to home.  This time, we headed east of where we live - towards our high school stomping grounds in the Thurston area.  

It took some traversing to get there, but the views were amazing....

And, the trail definitely improved the higher you got.

We saw views from either side of this ridge.  I was a little concerned/impressed with the drop off on this side...

One view shows the Goshen area, where the other gives a view of the Thurston community.

On Friday, Michael and Baxter joined us.  As previously mentioned, we hit the lake on Saturday.  That evening, Baxter was eager for my attention.

And Nati and Brayden were IN A MOOD.  Oh my goodness, so silly!!!!!

On Sunday, the kids went out on their own - hitting the Delta shopping area, getting Subway, and Jamba and returning to Gilham Park to meet up with Ashton - and yes, even get some ice cream from an ice cream truck.  

Finally, Sunday night, Brayden was again in a mood and would not leave me alone.  He even chased me into the bedroom and insisted on taking a selfie while I was in bed....seriously, what an otter.  But, so good to have his playful spirit back after a week without school!   We all definitely felt refreshed - and all longed to have spring break just keep going...

No comments: