Monday, October 06, 2008

Oh, the Price Per Pound for These!

So, this is it. All we have to show for those beautiful leaves and blossoms I showed you in a previous post demonstrating a thriving pumpkin patch. I put a coffee cup on the bench so you could have a frame of reference to how small these pumpkins really are.

Pathetic. It was going so well - but, then, that dreaded white-leaf mildew set in (probably because the kids inadvertently left the water running all night) and many of the pumpkins that had already appeared rotted out, and those that didn't had severely stunted growth. When I think of the price per pound of these little suckers - calculating the cost to buy the plants, special soil, mildew repellent, and water bill - yeah, those are some very expensive pumpkins alright. Mikayla already dropped and cracked one - I think we'll take it out of her inheritance......

Oh well, can't say I won't try next year because I love the joy of it when things are looking optimistic. I'll just try to establish a better watering plan.....

And, since this is such a "shallow post" - I want to direct you to Linda's blog for an amazing, transparent look at one person's thoughts if they were given only 30 days to live. It's a very brave post.....

6 comments:

Family O'Foxes said...

I was shocked by the price of pumpkins at the store.

Are those sugar pumpkins for making pumpkin pie?
~Amy

Growin' With It said...

aww shucks...thanks girl! that was a tough one to write but i'm so glad i did!

i busted out laughing when i saw the coffee cup. cuz seriously when you look at the photo...those are some fine lookin' pumpkins. then you pointed out the cup and i laughed. but i still think they are fine lookin'! and how about this one....we planted pumpkins and ended up with 1...ONE...oh brother. i'm still so proud of it though.

Colie said...

hehehe:-). Good try and better luck next year. We did not plant any this year - too much garden space. But we are headed to the pumpkin patch on Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to growin' with it - When I first glanced at the cup I thought it was some giant piece of pottery just made to look like a regular coffee mug!

But they are darling and I have been begged to grow some next year. Almost all my past attempts have yielded to the mildew, except the time I did the little pumpkins. Well, not THAT little...heehee.

Anonymous said...

That mug is HUGE!!!

:-)

StephieAnne said...

OK, the mug is a bit bigger than your average mug - but not by much. I sure am glad I put it out there though, or else I'd have you all fooled. And, Amy, nope, not sugar pumpkins, just plants I purchased at Home Depot in May......