Saturday, May 21, 2011

Wildlife Along the Riverwalk

Yesterday was a gorgeous day in Eugene - especially the first half of the day. And, yes, we did reach 70 again! I had the opportunity to go for a walk again with Danielle, and the more I hang out with her, the more extraordinary I think she is. =)

This time, we went a different direction on our river walk path. I have to give Eugene a lot of credit where credit is due in that they've done a fantastic job preserving the area along the shores of the Willamette river to make it a beautiful place to walk/bike/or jog. There's plenty of beautiful colors of plant life:

And frequently your standard pair of Mallard ducks:

Lots of Canadian Geese with, at this time of year, adolescent goslings tailing behind Mom and Dad:


And, finally, lots and lots of turtles, sunbathing themselves on the logs. I love these guys. The city has gone to a lot of work to create ideal sanctuaries in the ponds surrounding the main river.


This walk also gave me the opportunity to test out the new "point and click" camera I purchased on sale from Target. It's a Kodak Easyshare, and I gotta say so far, so good! (It sure beats me cell phone which is all I've had to work with since my last "little" camera bit the dust).

Alright - technically this add-on pic should have been in the Trinity pic post, but I felt like it belonged in this post more - this heron took off from the shores where the Formal took place (along the same river) - so majestic!

3 comments:

StephieAnne said...

A little Saturday afternoon update - we just took a family bike ride along the same path - coming from a different direction. This time, we got to see baby Mallard ducks - and was able to point out in person the turtles to the family. So cool!

Tiffany said...

New Camera!!!! New Camera!!!! The pictures are great.

We went to the river this weekend, too. I'm about to post about our little adventure!:D

Jodi said...

I'm obsessed with the turtles lately. It's causing problems on our bike rides since I keep having to stop and search and ooh and aah over them.