Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Best French Toast You Will Ever Have.....


OK, maybe that is a bit of an exaggerated claim - but I think it might apply for me. Fall brings out the baker, chef, and cook in me. We have had a record number of homemade dinners that I have been downright giddy about, and I am just looking for people that are willing to be guinea pigs for any sort of homemade goodie I can test a recipe to create.

That is what happened with this french toast recipe - I saw it in our Register Guard and could hardly wait until Saturday morning to try it out - and even bated Lisa to drop off Erica so she could try it too. If you are not a coconut fan, skip it. Otherwise, I think it is worth trying out.

Also, here is a link to a list of the most amazing sounding quick bread recipes that Jodi IM`d me tonite. I think I printed out 7or 8 of them - now, I just need some good guinea pigs........

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/hannahs/quick/

COCONUT FRENCH TOAST

1 cup canned coconut milk (you can find this is the foreign foods section - either Chinese or Mexican)
2 TB sugar
4 eggs
2 cups shredded coconut
6 thick slices bread (we used Old Fashioned Buttermilk)


In a shallow bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, sugar and eggs.

Spread the coconut out on a place. Dip the pieces of bread in the egg mixture and then dip in the coconut, amply coating the bread.

Melt ample butter on a griddle or in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the slices of bread on the griddle and cook until the coconut is golden brown (a few minutes, watch carefully). Flip and cook until the other side is golden as well.

I topped this with a raspberry sauce I made from frozen raspberries, sugar, and cornstarch over the stove while preparing the french toast. I then dusted with powdered sugar - just to make it look pretty!

1 comment:

StephieAnne said...

Hey y`all - if you could be praying for Stephies sister - she was induced this morning and should be delivering their first baby (a girl) sometime today...... VERY EXCITING!