Friday, September 09, 2011

..."And School Comes Along Just to End It"

In case your children aren't avid followers of "Phineas and Ferb", the cartoon, on the Disney channel - that title is from their theme song:

"There's 104 days of summer vacation and school comes along just to end it.....and the annual problem of our generation is finding a good way to spend it"

So, school has begun. A few observations from the first week.

Mikayla, Fourth Grade:

This little gal is the smallest kid in her class, which is saying a lot, because there are 35 kids in her class!!! Gasp!!! With 3 fourth grade classes of either 34/35, I can't believe the district hasn't allocated an additional teacher - but, our district is in dire straits, so what do I expect?

However, and thankfully, her teacher is FANTASTIC! Everyone I know who's had her has really liked her and Mikayla is no exception. Her class is also "stacked". Since we were on the other end of that scenario with Brayden when he was in 4th grade, I don't feel too horrible....but, it's kind of obvious that those kids with parents who exert the most pressure got their kids into this class. At least there will be no shortage of parent helpers.

I think it will be a great year for her, especially if she can survive this first week of 90 degree temperatures in an unconditioned classroom with that many bodies inside.....


Brayden, Seventh Grader:

It was fun when I dropped off Brayden to finally spot some kids walking into his middle school that were smaller than him. God Bless those little 6th graders.

Brayden reported that the day felt like "just the next day after the last day of school". Well, there you go. For the most part, he's happy with his classes, though the next two trimesters offer better electives vs. what he ended up with this trimester. At least pe and woodworking don't involve homework!


As for me, well the week has been about what I expected. Back into the gym full force, which I was pleased didn't instigate headaches....that is until yesterday afternoon. I'm still suffering its effects this morning, so if you wouldn't mind, I'd love some prayers for it to dissipate given all that will still be going on and needs to be done before John returns this Sunday afternoon. Tonight, he'll be kicking off the start of Mens' Round-Up with about 1500 men, and tonight I'll be gathered with about 100 women learning about football at our church (and listening to a former Duck player speak). Yeah for the Rileys doing their thing...I just wish we both felt optimal when doing it.....

No comments: