Monday, June 21, 2010

Seize the Moment

Yesterday, for Fathers' Day, we went to see "Toy Story 3". No surprise, I loved it. In fact, I was so gripped by the story line, that I didn't even recognize some of the subtler, "tear-jerker" moments until after the fact, when Michele asked me if I cried. (She saw it with her family at about the same time in Dallas). Nope, missed that, I was too worried about what was going to happen to Woody and Buzz.

But, if I were to watch it again, I guarantee I'd notice it. In fact, that scene has been replaying in my mind a lot (actually, the final 10 minutes of the movie) - and it's really made me aware of how precious each of these moments I have with the kids is, and how they are not going to last forever.

In this age of technology and instant entertainment - combined with the ages of Brayden and Mikayla, there are a whole lot of things I can suggest for them to do that will keep them busy and have little to do with me (i.e. - keep them out of my hair). Now, there are times this is necessary - the laundry really does need to be done, and dishes cleaned. But, is it really necessary that I use this time to escape into Facebook, my email, or a good book all the time.....just because?

Tomorrow, Mikayla, Ellie, Nati, Christina, and Erica will venture off into the big world of overnight camp. Michele and Traig will be down to keep us company while the girls are sleeping only about 2 miles away. (Yes, we live that close to Camp Harlow......) Traig and Brayden are now both middle schoolers - Traig headed into 7th, Brayden into 6th - so the time has arrived to offer them a whole new level of freedom. So, that leaves Michele and I with a lot of freedom too. However, thanks to "Toy Story 3", I'm really starting to brainstorm what can be done with these boys that includes us. Even if it's just for a couple of hours - to make those memories with our big boys would really be priceless in the long run, and I have a feeling, it might just be just a wee bit of fun for us too, maybe just maybe a WHOLE lot more fun than even the books and computer time.

So, y'all are my accountability. I hope to chronicle this "playtime" with our boys this week - and seize the moments.

P.S. - I've got a couple of "filler" posts coming, but my computer has had to have some down time transferring the thousands upon thousands of pictures that took up 100% of my space. John has to teach me how to use a new photo program as I-Photo is wonderfully user-friendly, but horrible when it comes to transferring to a hard drive. Has anyone else had that experience?

P.S.S. - I just have to add the hilarity of this situation, as during this entire time that I'm writing this, Mikayla is DYING for my attention, to help her pack for camp. There's been lots of "watch me" moments, and when I slightly look up, she scolds me for "not really watching"...... I'm really taking this lesson to heart, huh? - Oh, and btw, there will be about 2 weeks worth of time coming up that the girls will be around when the boys will be gone....so no worries about favoritism!

1 comment:

sara said...

I loved Toy Story 3 too! and yes, it got to my heart....especially when andy and his mom walk into his empty room....ugh! I am not looking forward to that (ok, actually today I AM because my son is being a poop)!

You are so far ahead of the game realizing the need to build quality time with your kids now. most of us, don't realize it till it is too late. But I have to say, those regular "dates" are so important to start NOW because even when they get to the point where they pull away...they almost always keep those times!! tradition is a good thing!