Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Spoilers

Have you ever followed a tv show, or recorded a sports event, only to have someone reveal the outcome before you watch it? That happened with the premiere of the second season of "Lost" for Lisa and I - we read just a little bit, then a little bit more - and pretty soon we'd read what was going to happen on the first episode and it felt A LOT like opening the presents early before Christmas. It stunk.

My irritation over this - and the tabloids and blogs reporting stuff prematurely has been kind of a reality check that maybe, just maybe, I care too much about entertainment. Not to mention how sucked in I get to the stories that they report. Perhaps I care a little too much about what people have to say about celebrities - and whether or not I believe it's true. And, maybe just maybe, I find myself so caught up in these stories (or personalities on reality tv) that it actually affects my mood.

This is another one of those blogs that I hesitate to hit that button PUBLISH POST because I can just imagine what it might make you all think of me. But, it's been on my mind a lot lately, and quite frankly, it's bugged me that it has.

The other thing that also became clear to me that there is no spoiler account, tabloid, or celebrity-stalker blog that knows the plans of God. Even the idea that "2012" is going to be the end of all mankind - the idea strikes me as crazy......as if God is going to let the Mayan calendar be the spoiler report for the End Times! So, I think it's time to spend a lot more time listening with spiritual sensitivity to what God is doing - that will never be thwarted - than the latest news of what's happened among who the entertainment world idolizes.......*

* I need to put a little caveat in that I'm not boycotting television, the TV Guide, or sporting events. I don't really enjoy legalism, so I don't think that's the route to go. I do, however, want to be more sensitive to the Holy Spirit when I feel like I'm getting a bit too caught up in something that ultimately is going to lead me to so much distraction that I'm attitude-affected by it.

6 comments:

~cjoy said...

Sounds like you're hearing a still, quiet voice within your spirit. And responding! =)

stephietoo said...

I don't have that problem...... ehhemm- I didn't have an addiction to the Bachelor and all of the glorious spoilers that my secret source posted each and every week. Nope, not me....

I can't seem to help myself.

Wait, is this an intervention?!?

In all honesty though, I agree completely with you. Very well posted. Love you!

StephieAnne said...

No, Steph, not an intervention, just a recognition (for myself), when I realized the reason why I was down all Monday night was that I figured I knew what was going to happen and it really bothered me that that was the outcome...... (John: "Are you okay tonite"?).....

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

I will join you, by admitting I often spend way too much time on people.com and eonline.com. I wonder why I care about a bunch of people I don't know who do a lot of things I don't like! I have really been working on not even letting myself type in the address and look at the front page. But it's hard - and that has me somewhat concerned.

Totally with ya, and totally working on it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.