Friday, August 29, 2008

"Have You Read THE SHACK?"

I can't tell you how many times I've been asked that. I think at least ten. Once, even this morning. I suppose it's because I make no secret of my desire for good Christian literature - and given that, it would totally make sense that I read a slightly sci-fi, Christian book that just happens to have hit #1 on the New York Times Best Seller List.

But, still I resisted. It sounded a little depressing to me. I think there was another reason I was reluctant - I think it's because now that I've read it, I won't be able to stop telling others about it.

To say a particular book is your favorite is like picking a child to be your favorite - it just feels wrong. But, when it comes down to one book that I would most want people to read and grasp (beyond the Bible) - this would be it. Yes, it impacted me that much.

So, I implore you - if you haven't heard about the book, go to the website, and if you have heard about it, head to Costco or any place that sells books and pick it up. If it has already been given to you, find a time to read it. It's not a book you can sit casually with by the pool - it's one to be absorbed- and grappled with. And perhaps, re-read. And, then, discussed - and shared. It's hard not to be impacted and let others know.

If my review sounds over the top, I agree. I'm generally the one who always under-exaggerates so people's expectations aren't too high (I leave the hyperboles to John!). So, just know, I really was THAT impressed. And now I'll be the one asking everyone, "Have you read THE SHACK?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first started reading it, I was thinking, "Oh great, more poorly written Christian literature. Is this the best we can do?" But the writing seemed to improve as it went.

One reason I loved it so much is because Shanne and I DROVE down Dug Bar road one time, from Imnaha to the Snake River, where we camped overnight, so I totally know the area he's talking about.

Although the writing was frequently awkward and overdone (talk about running out of hyperboles when describing certain things) the IDEAS changed my life. And for that reason I'll continue to recommend "The Shack," along with Anne Rice's "Christ the Lord" and Chris Bell's "Velvet Elvis," because they challenge us to engage our brains and think about Christianity in new ways - to join in the debate and not just be pew warmers! To wrestle with God and his word because that is what he wants us to to do!

Growin' With It said...

i've heard this one too! and my sis in law is finishing it up and purging it my way. can't wait!

LiteraryGirl said...

I resisted, too, because I thought it would be disturbing...but I ended up loving it as well and I HIGHLY recommend it. Great read.

(I think I was one of the ones who asked if you had read it!)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.