Friday, February 22, 2008

Girl Time

There's a certain sadness that we all feel when our kids are growing up, wondering if they'll slip away from us and we won't be able to connect anymore. But, I hold on to what my mom has said and that I've quoted before- that every year just got better and better for her in her parenting of us.

I feel like I had a little taste of that on Thursday with Mikayla. We took a bath together (actually, I escaped to the bath with a book and then she asked if she could join me). Once in, she began talking about kindergarten, and it only took about 2 seconds for "Nathan B's" name to come up. Nathan B. is one of two boys named Nathan in her class, hence, the reference to his last name initial. He was also the boy that was Joseph in the Christmas program (next to her being Mary). His name has been coming up more and more often over the last month - causing me to finally question the status of their friendship. A few days ago, she admitted that she believed he liked her, and upon further interrogation, admitted she had a crush on him too. Sweet, sweet, sweet.

To add further history to this little courtship, the first time we met Nathan was actually at Colin's Camp-out. His dad knows Colin and I actually worked for a short time with him serving with the high school group way back in 1995. Neat family. Unfortunately, he will be heading to a different school for first grade, so their relationship is looking a little doomed.

We started discussing all of this in the bath and she told me she was embarassed when I teased her about Nathan. But, because she couldn't complain about that without breaking into a huge grin, I told her that she secretly liked to be teased. This turned into a back and forth match and eventually my serenading her with "Summer Loving" based on the idea that perhaps her and Nathan's only future interactions will occur at Colin's Camp-Out. She then started dumping water on my head (which I had hoped to stay dry.....). The entire scene was such fun - such a cute girl-friend teasing time that demonstrated Mikayla's distinct fun personality and feistiness - I just loved it and loved laughing with her - and didn't for a minute regret that I would have to blow dry and restyle my hair again.

Every now and then, I wonder what would happen if I suddenly found out I was pregnant. While I believe I would rejoice in the pregnancy aspect (yes, I honestly miss that part) - the idea of changing our family dynamics would just crush me. I love where my kids are at - that I can randomly be asked to play HORSE or PIG (and lose) to my son with the basketball or play a little football - or talk boys with my little girl (who doesn't really have a clue what the boy thing really means - he just happens to be her favorite playmate that happens to be a boy). I think it's time to make our family population count permanent - cuz I am just loving this stage and wouldn't change it for anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not me - I'm sad they're getting older (although I agree it gets better all the time) but I want more, more, more kids. I'd love to have 4 or 6 although I also feel it might be pushing my luck to expect to keep having such wonderful kids every time!

Yesterday Rachel was talking about a classmate, then the other boys in her class, and with an exaggerated sigh she said, "That makes, like, ELEVEN boys in my class who like me." Such a cross to bear, poor child.

StephieAnne said...

That's too funny, Heather! Poor, poor Rachel.....

I'll be praying you find a GOOD man in a hurry so you can start increasing your family size. I still keep up occassionally with Esther Lewis' Christmas letters and noticed just the other day, that Whitney Lewis - the baby born while we were in high school (aka LaGrande's sister) is now the Register Guard's student of the month, active in ASB, Honor Society, choir, etc., etc. That Lewis family - I think 13 kids? And, everyone one of them a winner. There's a goal to go for Heather.....

Colie said...

What a sweet sweet memeory! I agree, it's getting better but it is also going so fast! Just this week I've had some heart tugs - seeing my children grow before my eyes. Watching them play the piano together, seeing Tana pull herself up ready to take on the world. WOW!

I'm not ready to be done with our family dynamics yet but I loved hearing your story and I am so happy you had such a wonderful moment!