Sunday, February 24, 2008

February Funk

I'm BORED. I know, that's a terrible thing to say, there are so many things I could be doing to benefit this world than complaining about my current emotional state of laziness....., but that's where I'm at. In the middle of summer, I will look back longingly on this kind of weekend and wish for time just like this. But, right now, I'm wishing for some sunshine, some planned activities, and a family healthy enough to leave the couches.

Michele called yesterday singing a little tune, "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Spring" - however, it just served to annoy me because (as is often the case) while she woke to brilliant blue skies and warming temperatures, we were locked in a fog bank with temps hovering around a balmy 34 degrees. John woke up feeling pretty strong and went outside to take down the Christmas lights, then came in, crashing to the sofa, having overdone it. The guy hardly moved from that position all day long. (He's fighting a pretty nasty cold, and now is not a time that he can take time off work to recuperate fully). Fortunately, Brayden had a basketball game yesterday which I took him to, and then was invited for a long playdate at a friends, so I didn't feel like his day was completely empty - however, Mikayla did get the short end of the stick. You could tell she was very bored too.

This would be a cozy thing for me to have if I didn't feel like it's what we've been repeating for the last couple of months. There comes a point when a cozy fireplace, beanbag, good book, and favorite tv re-runs just doesn't fulfill anymore. That's where I'm at. Throw in a general gnawing dissatisfaction with the lack of progress I feel like I'm achieving despite all of my best efforts with both my complexion and weight, it's just kind of leaving me in a funk. I need a good hike at a roaring waterfall, a trip to the beach, or something. But, then, I think, I'm blessed enough to have gotten these get-aways often, and still, here I am, complaining. Pretty much, I need an attitude make-over. I need to dive into a good devotional book, stop waiting for the world to entertain me, and perhaps try a little Atkins to tackle the plateau my body seems to feel very safe to keep my weight at. (Wouldn't want to starve during these cold winter months, so it's important not to lose that spare tire of "security fat" around my waist).

I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't be a little more aggressive about making plans for when the kids are in school. At least during the months of January and February. Man, am I seasonal.......

5 comments:

HollieHobbie said...

Amen, Sistah! Last week I said "I am so bored" and I have never ever said that before. I have a ton of prijects to do, alot of laundry, organizing etc, but instead I feel completely lazy and for lack of a better term, bored.
And we had a week in Cancun, so I can't say it is a seasonal thing; maybe just lack of motivation right now and an enhanced level of procrastination.
Anyways, I hear ya and understand.

StephieAnne said...

Thanks Hollie, glad to know I'm not alone. How was your trip? I'm going to check out your blog right now!

HollieHobbie said...

oh you won't find anything on my blog. I don't think Mexico is really my gig.

Colie said...

I understand. Although I do love February and the sunshine has made me feel so great! So, I am not currently bored but last month I was in a bored funk. It was yucky! This month has not been fantastic but I feel like we are headed to spring and we get to go to the coast friday for the whole weekend - yeah!

So, I'm sorry and I feel for your funk! I have no suggestions for you - although a mini road trip while the kids are in school sounds nice:-). Find the sun friend!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can be seasonal in the same sense as retail...out with the boots and scarves! In with the strappy summer dresses and swimsuits!! Turn up the heat to 80 and have an "unbirthday" party for the dog with popsicles and imported watermelon! Shake it up at the Riley house!

haha. My kids drove me N-U-T-S last weekend and I think it was the boredom that did them in...I'm looking forward to Daylight Savings and having more time to kick the little buggers outside.