Sunday, December 30, 2007

Our SIX Year Old's Rite of Passage





I'm having a really hard time with the reality that my YOUNGEST child is now SIX years old. That is just way TOO old, I CAN'T be the mom of a 6 and 8 year old. YIKES!

Alright, now that I've gotten that out of the way - as you can tell by the pictures, Mikayla had something very special in mind as to how she wanted to honor the actual date of her birth - getting holes put in her body.

She first brought this idea up a couple of months ago - to John and I individually. Unbeknownst to each other, we both responded the same way when asked when she could get her ear's pierced, "I don't know, ask your _______ (Daddy or Mommy)" After getting this response on multiple occasions from both of us, she finally nailed us down together and we decided that if she was a good girl and showed responsibility, she could get her ears' pierced when she turned 6. Honestly, I don't have that strong of feelings about it one way or another. My mom and dad let us get our ears' pierced when we were in 7th grade, which was a big deal, but I RARELY wear earrings these days because they tend to irritate my ears so much. Some of Mikayla's friends already have had their ears' pierced and I think they look sweet. So, there you go - lot of thought put into this one!

Despite it being her idea, I thought Mikayla would probably cry. I remember it smarting way back when, and didn't think Mikayla would appreciate that much. Nope. She was a CHAMP! There were two little girls that walked in, ready to get their ears' pierced after her, so I think that gave her more courage to not make it look painful for them. We are very proud of her and think her little crystal daisies look adorable in her ears......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETHEART - WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!

P.S. - By the way, here's a picture of the newest addition to Mikayla's "bedroom family". This is Samantha, an American Girl Doll. We're hoping she will be a hit for Mikayla as the cost sure demands that she be! Hopefully, through Samantha, Mikayla will get a glimpse into what life was like at the turn of the century.....

4 comments:

Stephietoo said...

Happy (day late) birthday, K-Bear! I was so proud when you called to tell me that you got your ears pierced yesterday. I can't wait to see them, and you. I am glad you guys had a good time this weekend. Love you lots. Stephie

Stephietoo said...

If you are having such a hard time with the fact that your youngest is six years old, maybe you should have another baby???????? Yes???? Please??????? It was worth a try......

Colie said...

So much fun! What a responsible way to ask for such a big thing. So much fun! So, what's your answer? Another baby:-)?

StephieAnne said...

HA, HA, HA!!!!!! Nice try, Steph, but getting pregnant is not on my to-do list for 2008, in fact, you'll be sad to know that a vasectomy is slated to be on John's list!