Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Nutcracker


It was a special date day for Mikayla and I. We went to the Hult Center and watched "The Nutcracker" for the first time. Actually, I should say it was perhaps my third time, but the first time for Mikayla - and since it's been at least 20 years for me, it might as well have been. (Mom, when DID we do that?)

I planned the event so I could have something festive and fun to return to after Sunriver. However, after the fact, I've kind of regretted the idea, wondering if it would be more of a hassle than it was worth. This afternoon, though, I was glad we had an excuse to dress up, to get ourselves out of the house - and escape into the magic of live theater. Mikayla was enchanted, however, she kept commenting, "this is nothing like the other one (that would be the Barbie movie version...)" and, "why don't they ever talk?". Based on those words, I wondered if she would ever want to go back, but once we were in the car (having raced out of the place so we wouldn't spend two hours trying to get down from the 4th floor of the parkade) Mikayla exclaimed how fun it was - both racing to the car, and watching the performance. She said, "it's not something I want to do every day, but I WOULD like to do it once a year". Alrighty then, mission accomplished. And, for the record, I LOVED it - I was swept away by the beauty of it all, not to mention the beauty of the little 5 year old with wide eyes sitting next to me......

No comments: