Saturday, December 22, 2007

Home, Sweet, Home

Farewell, sweet little Sunriver home!


So, we're back safe and sound. I'm always thankful when I've taken the effort to clean up the house before we leave, it makes for such a better homecoming. Nice to see the trees are both still green and not starving for water. As we have a Riley-side Christmas get-together on January 5th, we will try to get both trees to last an extra long time. Also fun to come home to a week's worth of Christmas cards - I'm savoring them until I sit down to read through them (yours included, Heather!)

I'm feeling a little down. Going from blue skies and tons of snow to totally overcast and rain is not my favorite thing. However, the fact that it is hard to come home only conveys just how great the trip was. Next year, I am thankful we will be doing the vacation the day after Christmas through New Years. As the timing is now, I find myself letting down before Christmas has actually come, which isn't fair to myself, the kids, or the whole family. At least next year, when the thrill-ride is eventually over, it will be all over - the next day will be January 2nd, and it will indeed be a new year, a new time to kick myself going again. For now, I feel like I'm in kind of an in-between stage, which, like I said, isn't so good.

Aren't our emotions nutty things? I really appreciated the honesty and transparency of Heather's blog:
www.youhavemyword.blogspot.com as I think it is something we all deal with at one time or another. I think it is especially great when we can wrap our minds around a possible reason for feeling the way we do, and I am thankful Heather's doctor was able to "find something" and therefore proceed with plans to make it better. If you have ever struggled with depression or living with someone who struggles with it - the links that Heather gives in the beginning of her post are phenomenal. You know that a blog post has struck a chord with folks when there are over 1100 comments - I read for a while and didn't come up with any that had negative words to say. The second link is from her husband's perspective - maybe even more worthwhile to read. Depression is a force to be dealt with, that's for sure.

I'm thankful, that at this point, I am not at that place. Simply feeling down after all of the excitement. There's something to be said for recognizing that our emotions can't constantly stay at a high place and must ebb and flow, valley and peak...... Hopefully, I'll find a restful plateau for a while......

2 comments:

StephieAnne said...

Heather - your Christmas letter was so amazing! You are so talented, girl! What fun......

Thanks for your letter (and for all of the others) that helped get me out of my "back from vacation" funk....

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Steph, I had a ball writing it. So far my Christmas Day is going OK although there aren't any movies I want to see and nothing but piles of junk everywhere I look in the house! I need to get out for a while and avoid the chores.

Merry Christmas!