Thursday, December 13, 2012

Strike City

To make what WAS the busiest day of 2012 even crazier was the fact that I double-booked our Tuesday evening.  I think it was early last week that I realized my error in scheduling the volleyball party/game the same night as our bowling - and my heart sunk as neither one were an option to reschedule.  Fortunately, we have friends that don't mind starting a little later and aren't worried about continuing the fun past 10pm - so it really did all work out.

This was a shot taken in our house while I was at volleyball.  We got pizza for everyone to eat while I was coaching - and of course, there were plenty of freshly made baked goodness for everyone to partake in (and later load into Ziploc bags to take home).  
 
By 8pm, we were arriving at "Strike City"

I think Kenjon was the first to begin the stretching, mocking himself somewhat of the Ballet class he took at UO this term (and yes, scored an "A" in)...

Watching Kenjon do anything is kind of like seeing "Hercules" take on life - he can do almost anything and everything with near perfection and grace.  However, and not that it's a competition or anything, but despite Ballet and Yoga being his class load this term, even when I'm 80, I will still be more flexible than him.  (Yes, I can still drop to splits and touch my nose with a high kick....)

Not that this group needed more reason to enjoy each other and laugh, but Heather kicked off the evening strong in terms of entertainment when she went for her first bowl and slipped and fell hard.  She texted me a picture of the bruise on her knee that she got from this experience and it was NASTY...  Poor thing.

She was able to laugh at herself though - and so was everyone else...




Kaela kind of down-played Drew's capabilities as a bowler.  I think the truth behind that is that when Kaela and Drew bowled together previously, he probably took pity on her and held back on his true talents.  He's a very good bowler - as are all the guys.



When Mikayla concentrates when doing physical activity (like bowling or serving in volleyball) she gapes her mouth wide open.  It is so cute....




How many couple shots have we taken at bowling alleys that look like this?  

He even bowls with style...

There is always a fierce competition with Heather's score and the rest of the guys - especially with Kenjon and Michael.  She beat their score with the first game and as you can tell by the expressions on their faces, the guys were very aware of the score.


Stephie didn't bowl but took care of party-hearty Whitley instead.  She napped through the first half, but was full of fun for the second half.  I'm telling you, I get to watch that kid 3-4 days a week, but she still draws me like a moth to flame when I see her outside of our days.  










This photo was cropped.  In the original, you can see me to the side, blurred out, throwing my hands up in the air as if to say, "Why am I not getting to be in the picture?".....

I got my way....

I am loving this relationship with Drew and Kaela.  Going on 6 months now, it's come as a complete surprise to Kaela who drug her feet intensely in the beginning because of the age difference between the two of them.  (Drew is a few years younger and has one more term in college....).  But, we ADORE Drew, which is huge, because it's got to be an incredible man that we'd entrust "our Kaela" to.  Drew IS incredible though, and very mature.  He also puts up with Kaela and all of her "uniqueness" - namely that she is incredibly practical, a planner, and methodical with her life- and not much of a cuddly, PDA person.  Drew continues to push the envelope with her, one little hurdle at a time, pushing her beyond her comfort zone to trust God's plan that might not be the one she had written in her "Life Day Planner".   Kaela's thought processes remind me a lot of my own before I met John - and it's fun to recognize just how much God has used John to refine me.  I see the same with Drew and Kaela.

One thing I do need to perhaps sit down with Kaela and discuss, though, is her physical aggression with Drew.  I mean, look at that right hook she's about to land on him for giving her a surprise hug....


 Heather ended up losing to Kenjon in terms of total score.  She was very distraught.

 
Group shots:











In Drew's defense, there were a number of cameras taking pictures at this moment...

There are few activities that I would look forward to participating in with a group of people after being awake for eventually 22.5 hours.   This is one, that, no matter what, I would never want to miss.  (Thank You Lord for having the headache take out Monday and not Tuesday....).  I love these people and struggle with the fact that we have just days left with Kenjon being a resident of Eugene and able to participate like this....

No comments: