Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Random Updates

I think sometimes having a Monday off makes for an even harder "Monday-like" feel on Tuesday. But, it's worth it. I tried to prep last night to make today go as smooth as possible even though this afternoon I have orthodontist appointments (first for Mikayla) on top of piano lessons on top of basketball practice. Still haven't quite figured out how it's all going to work out.....

On Sunday, I took the kids and I to Dallas to hang with Michele and the cousins. John couldn't go with us as he did work yesterday, but we felt it was worth the drive to give the kids some time to just hang together. Of course, my ulterior motive was to be out of my own dirty house and guiltlessly hanging out in Michele's where I could spend virtually the entire time reading a very engrossing book or planning our Orlando vacation. To that end, I did get a lot accomplished.

Onto other subjects:

- This has been one of the bleakest January's in my memory. If it's not been raining, the clouds look like it's going to. The days where we've seen the sun in 2010 can practically be counted on one hand. I'm so very thankful for fun events to keep my sights on in the horizon and a little blue light that, come to think of, I should turn on right now.

- For the sake of family history, I'm going to paste a compliment we got from Brayden's teacher. I'm changing the student in mention's name, for obvious reasons, but it was a huge blessing to receive:

Also, I meant to tell you this today but I didn't get a chance. Your boy is so sweet! This week we had a whole class discussion about Ed* and what we can do to get along with him better (long story, but many students think that it is ok to bully him since he has been a bully to them before). Anyway, many kids pointed out that Brayden is really good at being nice to him, and they should all try to be more like Brayden! :) Their words, but I couldn't agree more! What a sweetheart!

(I replied to her that I appreciated her words....and "if only he could apply this to his sister"!, but really, what an affirmation that he is on the right path being in the school he is, etc....)

- On to Mikayla, she's really practicing her mothering/future classroom skills by taking care of all of her stuffed animals. There are about 28 of them, I have no idea of their names - but she knows each one - and when she hauls them all to Michele's in a garbage bag, can determine that she's remembered each one when we set off to leave. She also lays them all out in bed with her, alternating who gets the spots closest to her. It's a little over the top, but very, very precious....

- The situation in Haiti - oh how heartbreaking. If you could please consider praying for our Compassion boy, Jhonny Bab Coup. He is a year older than Brayden - and he's been part of our life for about 6 years or so. A friend did some research and it appears that he lives in an area lesser effected by the earthquake, but still no word as to his welfare.

Wishing you a good week ahead, already shortened as today is now Tuesday!

2 comments:

StephieAnne said...

Regarding that bleak January comment, yesterday was actually pretty nice!! I did my first weeding of 2010 - a chore I really don't enjoy, but I was thankful for the opportunity to do it.

Anonymous said...

I went for a walk after work and wore SUNGLASSES! I was so happy about the sunshine and (a little) warmth I felt positively giddy!