Friday, December 22, 2006

Sleddin' in a Winter Wonderland.....

All week long, the kids have been patiently waiting for the opportunity to take the sleds out. Thursday was the appointed day (nothing else planned, plus we'd have Michael around too). We knew there wasn't enough snow at the ampitheater to make it work there (where folks do their sledding in Sunriver), so either it had to miraculously snow again Wednesday night, or we'd be trekking up somewhere to a higher elevation to pave a sled route of our own.

What do you know, but we awoke to two more inches of snow (we are not taking these blessings for granted, let me tell you!). So, we got the ball rolling very fast to make it to the ampitheater here in Sunriver before too many other people arrived and the snow became less than ideal.

When we arrived, one other family was there, by the time we left, we were waiting in line for our runs. I have to pat myself on the back for the idea to get us there early (plus, it kept us from hearing the begging and pleading all day long). The kids had fun, but we did have a few incidents. Mikayla and I had a pretty good spill, but it turned out to be harmless, just worthy of some oohs and aahs of the crowd for that poor little girl being run over by her mommy (Mikayla was laughing....). Brayden and Ellie did a spill - and poor Ellie scraped her face on the straw bale lining the "run". Finally, Mommy (me) on a solo ride, did a true backwards somersault. I kind of wish it was taped - the sort of thing I'd freak if I saw my kids do, but when you are experiencing it, you just go with it. In the process I heard and felt that sickening thunk sound of my skull hitting the snow-ice - ick.... Fortunately, it sounded a lot worse than it felt, and didn't exasperate the issues I have with my neck. I avoided that little pink saucer for the rest of the duration, though.

Today (or in the morning as I'm posting at midnight...) we leave. I think it's been my favorite trip so far. What a blessing.

All 5 bundled up:
Little angels making angels....

And away they go!

2 comments:

LiteraryGirl said...

The book you recommended, do you own it? Could I borrow it when I am here? Let me know.

StephieAnne said...

Steph's currently reading it - she's about half way through, I'll call you when she's done and let her know you are interested in it