Friday, September 17, 2010

While the Kids Are at School....the Stay at Home Moms Gather

Finally, a post with pictures! (Though I do have some great fb pics of Brayden coming from the game). Today, using Lisa Q.'s b-day as an excuse, a group of us moms got together to chat, hang out on the bean bags, and eat some "harvesty treats". I was thrilled with everyone that had the chance to make it, not only for the company, but for the opportunity to get rid of the food!

Here's what I prepared: Apple Brie Toasts, Molasses Cookies, and Cinnamon Chips with Fruit Salsa. I'm going to give you the recipe on that one, because today was the first time I tried it and it was sooooo good!


Susan, Christy, and Nancy:

Steph, Lisa S., and Lisa Q.

and myself and Liz... (Marjie was there earlier, but left before we got the camera out)

And, finally, the most active of the guests, Christy's son, Carter - and Liz's son, Cooper, aka "Batman". A dynamic duo of fun, that's for sure.......

I really love these gals - and given that our kids spread over about 7 different schools at this point (at least), it seems I see them all less and less. It makes me happy to get together with them and have some "Mom time". Combine that with my two hour chat-time with Jodi yesterday and I'm feeling much more "filled-up" in the friendship tank.....

Now, on to that recipe......
"Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips"
(I've seen variations of this recipe in other places, but decided to give it a try after seeing it mentioned at "Our Best Bites". The recipe is very flexible, you can use any set of fruits (they suggest a colorful variation) - and any special juice or sweetener....but I liked my version so much, I'm going to try to stick to it specifically in the future)

Fruit Salsa
3 cups blackberries (thanks Mom - fresh from her house!)
1 cup raspberries (these had been frozen, so I let them thaw out, and the extra juice came in handy)
5 kiwis peeled and diced
2 nectarines diced
1/4 cup of the cinnamon-sugar combo I used for cinnamon toast....
Lightly toss to mix

Cinnamon Chips
Cut up four flour tortillas into "chip-size" pieces. Coat with butter - or I used the "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray" then sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar combo.
Put on cookie sheets (ungreased) and bake in a 375 degree oven for about 12 minutes. Watch for edges to start curling up. Take out and let cool - and there you go!

SOOO YUMMY!

5 comments:

sara said...

what a fun day!!! and that recipe looks yummy! I am going to have to try it...maybe Sunday for life group!

kleephotos said...

Um you may have to make those cinnamon chips with the fruit salad for our bible study.... :)

StephieAnne said...

It's not fruit salad Kaela - it's fruit salsa....get it straight, girl!!! =) (and that might be able to be arranged!)

HollieHobbie said...

You know that I love your blog, but I am realizing that I especially love it this time of year! XOXO

StephieAnne said...

Ah Hollie - I want you to know I was definitely thinking of you - a lot - yesterday...... =)