Saturday, March 08, 2008

Double Winners



Last night, thanks to the generosity of Mom and Dad watching the kids, John and I headed over to Mark and Amy's to join about 25 other people for a night of food, Bunko, and poker. The idea was that we would all "mix and eat" for a while at Amy's, then the guys would stay at their house for poker, while the gals moved the party right next door to Shannon's house for Bunko. While it took probably a little longer to get the games started (we are a very talky group) - the idea worked like a charm.

However, once we isolated the gals, getting Bunko started and going took a little longer too. ("Have you been to that new home store, "Real Deals" in west Eugene - oh, you really should go - let's go tomorrow.....") But, eventually, we divided into three tables and started rolling the dice. We got a little stalled rolling for 3's, though - apparently the head table was a little sidetracked. My partner and I each rolled a bunko on that round (very rare for me) so our score was around 105 when they finally rang the bell indicating they had reached 21 and it was time to rotate. Yes, a bunch of very off-track ladies.....

Despite having to limit my eating to the artichoke dip and low-carb tortilla wedges I brought, which was a bit of torture in itself looking at the brownies, smores, and other sugar-laden morsels - I had a FABULOUS time. It's funny how you know yourself and realize "I'm ready for a group event" and totally get into all of the socializing, where other times - like when I was at Black Butte, found myself holed-up internally. To make it even better, I won the roll-off for most Bunkos and scored $15, while John, the true underdog of Poker came home with $60 (we invested $15 into the night). Now, that's what I call a successful night out with the friends......

No comments: