Friday, November 21, 2008

Stone Soup

As I eluded to in the previous post, today was a special day for Mikayla's first grade class in which they had their "Stone Soup" celebration.

If you are familiar with the story (or stories as you see here):

Each person contributes a vegetable or spice or something to help make a vegetable stew. However, in the beginning of the stories, no one wants to help, it is their curiosity of visitors making a soup out of stones that eventually gets them to contribute. In the end, they are all so pleased with their concoction, that they put together a grand celebration to eat it all.

For today, I got to be more of a "helper" than a guest, the best part was reading the story aloud to the class while the teacher finished up a few details. I LOVE doing that.

However, John got to be Mikayla's "guest of honor". I couldn't decide which of these two pictures I liked the best, so I put them both up.



For those that know my eating habits (and how Mikayla is a lot like me), this should come as no surprise that this was Mikayla's assessment of the taste of the soup. Fortunately, Ms. Beitz taught the kids proper responses when they are offered food they don't like. Hopefully, we'll see some of those positive manners this next week...


Finally, here's a picture of Mikayla showing us one of the actual rocks that went into the soup. This one was a "petrified rock" - don't worry it was boiled a long time to make it safe, but it goes to prove that yes, indeed, it really was "Stone Soup" we were eating...

2 comments:

Mama2hre said...

How fun! I loved that book! I clearly remember my Kindergarten teacher reading Stone Soup! Sadly, we never got to make soup. What an awesome idea!

Anonymous said...

What a cool idea! And so awesome that both mom and dad got to be with her.

Hope you have a great weekend!