Thursday, January 03, 2008

Ikea Overload

Last weekend, we thought that while we were in Portland, we'd "stop by" Ikea. I've never been there, apparently John already has - it was the running joke about which old girlfriend he'd done that with.... (we realized later it was with a very, very, very, very, very, very, good buddy up in Seattle, Tim Dodd).

Just driving up to the place - it's HUGE!!!! John dropped us off in front while he parked, and as we were waiting in the lobby Mikayla expressed how sick she was feeling. As soon as John arrived, he took her back outside and she threw up about 4 times. Apparently, she was feeling as overwhelmed by the whole adventure as we were. (or else, more likely, car sick).

I was dealing with a "nightime cold medicine" hangover - not a good thing when you have to be on your game when shopping there. John was a little off as well - just not a good combination. We came in looking for a storage unit to hold the video game stuff we've accumulated - we walked out spending $4.78 on a glass jar and cutting board.

Not to say that place isn't incredible in it's own way. If you are organized, know exactly what you want, and have the time to really focus - I bet you could outfit a house very economically and tastefully from Ikea. They have done some improvements from their more modern designs to complement a more antique look - but as for us, last Sunday, it just wasn't to be.

Any Ikea experiences you'd like to share?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wish we had one closer. I have them send me catalogs, drool all over them, and then sigh because there's no way I can get their stuff. I'd really like one of their desks.

But I agree, there seems to be a lot of mix-and-match or build-your-own to where you'd want to have a battle plan.

Don't they also have a kid area and cafeteria or something? Sorry it wasn't much fun for you guys-I thought the nearest one was in Seattle so I guess it's *a little* closer than I thought.

StephieAnne said...

Yes, they have a kid play area that looked pretty fun, but with Mikayla feeling pukey and Brayden really wanting to test his heeleys, we chose to pass. They do have a cafeteria as well.

If you ever get a chance - it is on the way to the Portland airport - same exit and everything, there's no way you can miss it!

HollieHobbie said...

I bought a pretty cool chair there once. It matches nothing. I have been in Ikea probably three times and besides the chair I have to force myself to buy something and it is usually napkins or something like that.

Anonymous said...

Well, wouldn't you know it? I come in, work is slow, so I decided to come over and see what the Rileys are up to...and find myself named. I think you meant "Seattle" and not Salem, but I don't really remember going to IKEA with John...well, maybe I do... But doesn't he have another "buddy" named Tim who lives in Salem? Not having an IKEA in Salem makes me think you meant Seattle Tim though...

As a side note, I'll just say that I love the term "buddy of mine/John's". It is uniquely John Riley, and can be used for any number of people from heads of state and childhood friends, to gas station attendants and the guy who served him pie that he chatted up at Denny's the other night (although, it doesn't look like John eats much pie these days).

I'm honored to be considered such despite the space of distance and time. :-)

As for IKEA, here's my advice: Look online for what you want (they actually have a fairly limited amount of designs for specific uses) before you go. Otherwise you do exactly what the majority of IKEA shoppers do: you buy some cool cheap stuff (spending under $10 usually) that you may or may not have really needed after 4 hours of shopping! I'm always getting stuff like spatulas and cheese slicers.

Stephietoo said...

OH MY GOSH!!! Tim!!!!! It's so cool to see you posting on the Riley's blog. I haven't seen you since the days at Rosen. I hope you are doing well. - Stephanie White

StephieAnne said...

Welcome to THE COZY CORNER, Tim! Loved your online Christmas letter, I downloaded and read it all, admiring all of the great pics.....

You'll notice I corrected my Salem error and clarified the "status of your buddy relationship" with John! =) You rank much higher than the Denny's waitress, but I totally agree with your thoughts on John's ability to make friends. He's just not very shy, that's for sure.

Hope 2008 brings your family much more peace than 2007, I was heartbroken when John shared what you've been through. Take care of those beautiful kids and wonderful wife, and give 'em a hug for me.....

Tim said...

Ahh! You guys make me laugh! I wasn't looking for a first-class upgrade to my "buddy" status btw, just reminiscing about John's phrase 'buddy of mine' :-)

The past couple of years haven't been all that great, I've learned a lot about humility and love and forgiveness. So, I guess the Lord's will is accomplished.

Stephietoo: Thinking about Rosen makes me remember that working there (at times) felt like I was one of those guys playing cello on the Titanic. "Yeah, we're going down, but we'll keep doing things as usual."

Anonymous said...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/01/08/living.ikea.ap/index.html

You just have to read this news clip on a guy who's going to live in an Ikea store for a few days...