Friday, February 28, 2014

Whitley Adventures

When I told Stephie about Mikayla being sick, she was more than willing to find someone else to watch Whitley that Monday that Mikayla stayed home.  When I started showing symptoms, she was adamant that I take the whole week off to fully recover and rest.  Initially, I thought it might be overkill as I was sure I'd recover so fast, but recognized the wisdom to insure it hadn't been passed to the boys and therefore still a potential threat for Whitley to get.  As it turned out, the stomach bug turned in to a migraine, and it really wasn't until Friday afternoon that I started feeling "close to normal" again.  Good foresight, Steph.

So, I spent a week away from my favorite 18 month old - and I missed her.  And, sometimes that's a good thing, right?!   So, when I got to see her again the following Monday - I was ready to PLAY - and just enjoy her.  That is, by far, the biggest thing I'm learning - the more I try to order out the day with to-do's, the less likely the day will turn out pleasant for either of us - so embrace the day, and slow the pace.....

What follows are a bunch of pictures that have taken place in both February and March highlighting some of our adventures together.  Just as we are moving out of a place of "unhealthiness" and "winter" for John and I, I feel like Whitley is likewise moving and growing into a place of more and more fun as she develops in her ability to communicate and becomes more patterned and predictable in her routine and preferences.  Indeed, that first week after being apart has been one of my all-time favorites so far.

A little balloon time - courtesy of leftovers from Mikayla's party.

We spend a lot of time in the car waiting to pick up the kids.  Whitley loves to be set free from her car seat and explore the car - pushing any and all buttons she can.  The only problem is making sure the hazard lights aren't flashing, or overhead lights don't kill the battery overnight.  (Or car roof left open overnight in the rain.....ooops!)


Another favorite car pastime is looking at her reflection in the flip down mirror with my sunglasses on.  They are expensive glasses, so I really ought to get her an extra pair for her to play with, but how do you say, "No" to a face that lights up like that?
My visits with other gals have been a lot more infrequent lately.  It's difficult to figure out a place or activity that keeps Whitley entertained while I'm able to get deep into conversation - but, that doesn't stop me from trying.  On this day at Trinity, I'm pretty sure Whitley disabled a sewing machine and printer, but hey, she stayed happy - and I had some fun conversation with Alesha and Alexa.

On this Monday, I got the chance to visit with Christi and Elsie.  Whitley loved all of the toys in Elsie's nursery, but also liked to throw them - which isn't good when a two month old baby is in her throwing range!  We had fun, though.  Just gonna have to work on baby skills with Whitley....

Elsie is so beautiful - such a sweet baby!



On this day, we stopped off at Papa's Pizza to let her have some play time.  I have no idea what that girl's name in the bottom of the picture is, but she was obsessed with Whitley (along with her friend) and insisted on introducing her to the play tunnels.   Which, of course, meant I had to follow them up there to supervise anything they did.  I think we'd have stayed longer if not for these little gals determined to play "Mommy" with "Baby Whitley".

Speaking of routines and preferences, I am realizing I can get her to eat the most and "chill the longest" if she sits on my lap while watching a "Baby Einstein" video on my computer.  No, she doesn't have me enabling her AT ALL! ;)

Last week brought some more sunshine - in fact, I was just in a tank top on the trampoline with her.  It was SO GOOD for my soul.  This is a "must do" every day that it's not raining.  She begs for it, and getting me out there bouncing around and exercising is a win-win.  

We also hit up Old Navy last week.  I really can't applaud Whitley when it comes to shopping.  She does not enjoy being constrained by any sort of stroller or cart, so I'm trying to work on shorter trips where I can keep an eye on her and work on keeping her somewhat next to me.  It's definitely a work in progress.  Old Navy is a good start though - it's a small enough store and the doggy mannequin had her intrigued from the start (as did the "gumball machine" of bouncy balls)....

Bath time is another frequent part of our routine.  Especially if it's a rainy day with lots of time to kill.  I was distracted on this day texting Heather back and forth to solve the problem on where we'd be able to celebrate Suzie for dinner and let the bubbles nearly pour over the side.  It was a mess, but made for some great pictures!

Good times....good times, indeed!

No comments: