Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Weekend Where We Made the Plans Along the Way

Wow, has that happened yet this summer?  A whole weekend with no plans set in stone?  Crazy!

Of course, the first order of business was visiting the Whites - at home! - and bringing them dinner.  They got home Thursday night.  Unbelievable when you consider the trauma involved Tuesday night.

Brayden actually got to visit the Whites with Heather and I during a brief random visit Thursday afternoon.  Mikayla was at a friends party.  This picture was taken then.

The next morning, when news about our visit slipped out, Mikayla threw a COLOSSAL fit.  I actually haven't seen a tantrum like that from her since she was a toddler.  She was so upset that she missed out on seeing Whitley she cried nonstop for over five minutes.  Poor thing.  Consequently, when we brought dinner for the family later that night, we made sure she was the first to hold Whitley.    (Nice to see her smile again).


On Saturday, we opted to go see a movie.  "The Odd Life of Timothy Green" was our choice and Michael Chase and Heather decided they wanted to come along. 
The movie turned out a lot like I expected - bittersweet.  It was definitely a heartwarming movie.  I'm a huge fan of Jennifer Garner (she's about my age and was a self-admitted "band nerd" in high school....love how she lives her very successful and scrutinized life in public media). 

Unfortunately, throughout the weekend, I'd been dealing with a pretty rough headache.  It prevented me from feeling confident about participating in church in the morning.  So, we took it easy as a family and threw out ideas for how we could spend our Sunday.  Eventually, we decided to go to the Lane County Fair.  This would be a first for our family (at least for them being an age they could remember).  We've done the state fair, but honestly there's been little appeal for me to consider for our more local venue.  However, with the prospect of free admission with canned food and a concert that I thought would be fun, it upped the value.

So, with literally seconds to spare (we had to be there by 1pm)- we made it through the gates with our canned food, feeling successful for saving ourselves $33 (which was quickly spent at our first stop for lunch!).  


After lunch, a visit to the animals.  The goats were very friendly. =)




Out the doors of the animal pens was a Dog Stunt show.  We got to witness this dog jumping 52" in the "high jump" obstacle.  Pretty amazing!


After some ice cream for the rest of the family (I was saving myself for my "Elephant Ear"), we watched these guys.  They are "On the Rocks" and were featured in Season 2 of "The Sing Off".  What an exceptional sound they have...if I weren't starting to get another headache and didn't have family that weren't as appreciative of their music as me, I could have stayed there indefinitely.

Next up, my Elephant Ear (not the greatest life choice) - and an opportunity for the kids to get a couple of rides in.  Actually, Mikayla just participated in the "Giant Swing" with her brother, while Brayden also took in "The Viking Ship"






By the time he finished, I was so ready to leave and get home to ice packs.  =(

Fortunately, yesterday morning, Mom was able to fix me up...oh, I'm so thankful for her!

Also, yesterday evening was the first day of Brayden's final year of Pop Warner football.  He described it as "horrendous" - conditioning week is always the worst.  And, yes, for the record, out of about 27 teammates, again, he is definitely the smallest.  Poor guy.  I'm so proud of him for sticking it out though - and very thankful the temps are in the low 80's, mid 70's this week, compared to hitting the 100's last week!

No comments: